Friday, January 7, 2011

WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS


It's a snowy day here in NYC and I've been daydreaming about my kitchen at Malden Manor.  I've been spending a lazy day at Le Pied watching the gently falling snow and looking through my picture files.  When I came across these pictures of my kitchen at The Manor, they triggered a homesickness for my kitchen at Malden Manor... and I've only been in NYC for four days!  I thought, for my second posting, it might be of interest to show you pictures of  "where the magic happens".  [Just Joshin' Ya]

Of course, I have no pictures of my stove and my single and only oven.  My kingdom for another oven... if I indeed had a kingdom... but believe me, our 'inherited-from-the-past-owners oven' is no great beauty, so you're not missing much.  Actually, now that I think about it, it IS a bit magical that I can get out all the stuff I make for The Market with that single oven.
We've done a lot to Malden Manor... or rather our fab contractor, Mario the Magician has... but re-doing the kitchen has been put on the back burner.  No pun intended... well, maybe.  We DID strip the 'Holly Hobby" country wall paper and painted, but that's about it.  Oh... Mario also cut an opening in the wall and sunk the fridge that was awkwardly standing in the middle of the two windows.  Future plans are to have a large custom island built with a white marble top.  The island will hopefully house a second oven and a drawer type microwave oven like my friend Edie's.  Hers is sooooo cool.  If you've never seen one, check it out.  I think they're made by Sharp.  They're pricey, but very nifty and perfect for an island because you load it from the top.

In the meantime, in place of the future island, I put up a collapsible table that I threw a table cloth over it to disguise it's temporary-ness [pictured].   Now, through the thoughtfulness of another friend and her friend, I have this great parson's style table that is the greatest work space.  [Molto grazie Char and Delores]

Hopefully we'll get out of NYC this evening.  The snow doesn't look too bad here.  I wonder how much they [you] are getting up north?  I'm looking forward to getting back to baking for the market next week... and getting back to my beloved kitchen.
 
Just a reminder: 
The Saugerties Winter Market is Sunday the 16Th of January at the Senior Center near Cantine Field from noon to four o'clock.  Please come!  I know everyone is probably still recovering from all the holiday sweets and such, but I'm hoping to make some nice savory things that week like an artichoke pie you can just reheat in your oven for a nice hearty vegetarian meal... and also sweet potato muffins... among a lot of my standard wares.  Per usuale... if you desire anything specifially, please give me a ring a couple days before and I'll have it waiting for you at the market.
 Please leave a comment so I know you've visited.  I am not fishing for compliments, but I WOULD love your constructive criticisms and feedback on how I can make this blog better.        
Peace in The New Year
Bruce

No comments:

Post a Comment