Wednesday, January 19, 2011

One Savory. One Sweet. Two New Yummy Offerings


The Monthly Saugerties New York Winter Farmer's Market was held last Sunday.  To be quite honest, I was expecting it to be pretty dead... mostly because it was held not that long after the holidays and in the dull lull of Mid-January.  I was especially worried about sales for my wares in particular.  I thought everyone would be sugar-and-buttered-out and still trying to eat up their stale leftover holiday treats... not to mention that I expected everyone to be on post holiday / new years resolution diets.

To add insult to injury, the theme of this month's market was 'Health'!  I'm not sure my wares would quite fit in with tat theme.  After all, I deal in pure sugary and buttery sin.

However, to my surprise and delight, the market was wonderfully abuzz and quite busy.  To my total joy and amazement, I pretty much sold out.

It could have been the draw of the health practitioners.  They seemed very busy all day.   It could have been that Sunday was a gloriously sunny and fairly warm day and folks that had been suffering from cabin fever were anxious to get out of the house.  Whatever the reason, I was glad and thankful that the market was a surprise success.

In NYC several weeks ago, I had seen a bakery use parchment paper pushed inside of a cupcake mold in place of the usual cupcake papers.  Ever since I saw how different and nice they looked, I've been wanting to give it a try.  I finally did this market.  I decided to make lemon cornmeal cupcakes topped with cream cheese frosting.  I had also candied lemon slices and added them atop.  They looked pretty great, if I do say so myself... and they sold like cupcakes... oops,   I mean like hotcakes.  I got some really great feedback about how tasty they were too.  You can bet these will be added to my regular repertoire.







These pictures were shot pre-oven. Of course, I forgot to take a picture of the finished product.   Although they are sort of visible in the top picture of this entry.

Oh... here's a better shot of the finished lemon cornmeal cupcakes... AND a glimpse of another new product; my artichoke cheese pie.  It's the pie all the way to the right.  Yummy.  A meal in a pie. 



While I was baking last week, I was also thinking about and making lists of subjects I want to tackle for this blog.  I realize I need to impart useful info if I want people to make return visits... and that's what I'm planning.  It's just taking me 3 posts to get in gear.  So stay tuned and hopefully post 4 will possess new and interesting info about all things food related... and then some.  With any luck and inspiration, I will publish such a blog later this week 

Keep tuning in. 

Per usuale, comments are welcomed and appreciated. There was a problem with leaving a comment.  If you DO have a problem, please let me know at BruceWCoyle@Yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment